Wikitude is one of my all time favorite apps for my BlackBerry device. With it I can find people and places around that I wouldn’t notice but can find through Augmented Reality. I especially use it for cafes, tweets, and Youtube. I missed posting two updates, so I’ll post the changelog I’ve missed.
One more thing about Wikitude I didn’t mention in the beginning is that it’s FREE! If you haven’t checked out Wikitude yet, keep reading.
I’ve included this video that shows how to use the Wikitude World Browser on the BlackBerry.
Changelog for v6.5 and v6.5.1
- Fix: integrated workaround to avoid BBM connection problems resulting in “BBM connection pending” state.
- Improved: faster switching between BBM contacts and normal POIs in list/map/cam
Here’s the description of Wikitude from App World:
Wikitude World Browser finds cool people, places and things and allows you to discover your surroundings in a completely new way. Provided that your BlackBerry has a digital compass built in (most OS7 devices), you can simply hold up your smartphone and explore what’s around you in Augmented Reality (AR). Identify places, sights and even your BBM friends through your camera’s field of vision – a truly engaging and immersive experience. Don’t worry should you not have a digital compass in your BlackBerry (all OS6 devices). You can still explore places, things and people around you on a map and list view. As a BBM connected app Wikitude can locate your friends and other BBM users, of course only if they share their location. A great way to meet other BBM users and make new friends. Wikitude has been voted “The most addictive social app using BBM”.
Note: Wikitude automatically checks your device on whether you have a digital compass built in or not. With a compass you will be AR enabled, but not to worry if you do not have one, Wikitude works great in map view as well ;-)
Search through lots of exciting content and points of interest from Wikipedia, Youtube, Twitter, Flickr, Starbucks and thousands more. Use Wikitude to browse through what’s around you or to specifically search for places you are interested in. Craving sushi? Just type “sushi” into Wikitude’s search box, hold up your phone and see all the sushi restaurants around you. Looking for special offers near your home or nearest shopping centre? Simply view all the augmented reality mobile coupons to get up to 50% off !
Here’s what’s new:
With the all new Wikitude myWorld feature you can create your very own Augmented Reality World. The “Create Place” tool allows you to mark the location of your favorite Mexican restaurant or any other location that is special to you, perhaps your favorite store or the amazing hotel you discovered in Italy last summer. Your World can be shared with your friends on Facebook, meaning you see their favorite Places, and they see yours. Also check out Wikitude myWorld on facebook.com Try it now!
Here are the features in their entirety:
- Create your very own AR World and share it with your friends, meaning you see their favorite Places, and they see yours
- Find events, tweets, Wikipedia articles, ATMs, restaurants, user reviews and much more around you
- Interact with your BBM contacts and discover new BBM users around you like you have never done before.
- Experience places near you in augmented reality or show them on a map or list view
- Browse more than 150 million places and interactive content from more than 2,500 content providers or so called “Worlds”
- Explore and identify places and objects around you
- Search for specific places, for example “thai restaurant”
- Find mobile coupons and discounts for stores and shops near you
It’s really a fun app that has so many opportunities and capabilities as we also saw for future BlackBerry 10 devices from BlackBerry 10 Jam. It was a friend of mine who introduced me to Wikitude by Wikitude GmbH and I have really adored it ever since, especially with knowing that the Wikitude team is great with answering questions and concerns. You’ll love it. If you haven’t checked out Wikitude, do so now. It’s free and fun, what more could you ask?