RIM’s new president and CEO welcomed those attending to the very first BlackBerry DevCon Europe 2012. This is exciting and it was great to see such a huge turnout in Europe. This is an important event for BlackBerry and for the developers. Check it out…
The BlackBerry® Developer Conference is the showcase for the latest innovations and breakthroughs with the BlackBerry® Development Platform. Thousands of BlackBerry enthusiasts come together to collaborate with platform experts from the community and attend sessions, demonstrations, hands-on labs and keynotes — all focused on developing leading mobile applications, no matter your skill level.
It’s an amazing opportunity to connect with BlackBerry experts, get tips and discover ways to build for the BlackBerry platform whether in native or using web standards that allows you to extend your work onto other platforms. You’ll walk away ready to reach a community of 70 million subscribers!
Attendees will be coming to the conference from all over Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Anyone who is excited about developing for the BlackBerry platform will be at BlackBerry DevCon, including corporate, commercial and hobbyist developers, business leaders, faculty and students, BlackBerry partners, BlackBerry enthusiasts, and key leaders from RIM.
BlackBerry DevCon is the ideal event for BlackBerry developers and partners, for beginner or master mobile application developers, and is customized for several types of developers:
- Web developers
- Native developers
- Adobe® developers
- Java developers
BlackBerry DevCon meets a need for developers and partners who are invested in the tremendous potential of apps for the BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet. Learn how the BlackBerry Development Platform offers even more choices in development tools, greater integration options and APIs, more profitable monetisation tools, and valuable partner support.
BlackBerry DevCon previews and demonstrates tools that help developers create apps on their terms, with maximum choice and support, giving you the opportunity to develop for both the BlackBerry® smartphone and the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet. Discover tools that can make apps more profitable, technologies that lead to developing Super Apps and hot topics such as BlackBerry® 7 OS, the BBM™ Social Platform, Adobe® Flash® & Adobe® AIR®, the BlackBerry® WebWorks™ HTML5 platform, BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS, the Cascades™ UI framework, getting ready for the BlackBerry® 10 Platform, and more.
CrackBerry posted the Keynote video we’re sharing with you. I like the way Thorsten welcomes everyone and even acknowledges he’s home. He also stresses it’s the very first DevCon in Europe and how they sold out and thanks everyone. He is also letting them know that BlackBerry is committed to empowering their developers and giving them the opportunity to grow with them. During the welcoming and keynote, we are shown the numbers which are very impressive and see some really interesting facts.
- There are over 6 Million software developers in Europe
- BlackBerry is the Number One Prepaid Smartphone in the Netherlands, U.K., and Spain
- BlackBerry is the Number One Smartphone in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and South Africa
- There are 75 Million BlackBerry subscribers worldwide
- Over 180 Million BlackBerry smartphones sold worldwide
- 25,000 PlayBooks will be given away, so everyone attending will be receiving a BlackBerry PlayBook
- 13% of BlackBerry Developers make $100,000 or more from BlackBerry App World apps
- 2 Billion BlackBerry App World Downloads
- 6 Million BlackBerry Apps downloaded every day
- BlackBerry OS 7 has downloaded more apps than any other OS prior to it making it the most profitable from apps
- Seamless Experiences with the BlackBerry smartphone, the Cloud Servies, the BlackBerry PlayBook and embedded content with BlackBerry 10
- One Company, One Platform, One Vision: The acquired companies of QNX, TAT, Gist, Certicom, Torch, ScoreLoop, Tiny Hippos, Newbay, and Tungle
- The Road to BlackBerry 10
- The BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0
Thorsten introduced Vivek Bhardwaj, Head of Software Portfolio EMEA, Research In Motion, to show what OS 2.0 brings to the platform and to users.
Vivek goes through the PlayBook showing how OS 2.0 integrates the inbox to combine the social networks in one. He also displays the pinch to filter, walks us through the calendar, and even looking at our contacts. Even searching for contacts on the PlayBook is easily done with collaboration. He shows us how easy Bridge is with OS 2.0 and demonstrates the remote control feature using a BlackBerry device with the BlackBerry PlayBook. Vivek tried to show Open On, but it wouldn’t work during the presentation. (Don’t worry, RIM won’t leave you hanging. It works eventually, and there’s a video to prove it).
Thorsten continues the keynote:
- The smartphone market is still relatively young
He also stresses that RIM is focused on listening to their developers, committed to empowering them and committed to the platform. He’s enthusiastic and highly charged, and I love the sense of commitment. It’ll be very interesting to see what type of apps start making their way to the BlackBerry PlayBook.
What are your thoughts?