Since the BlackBerry World Conference in May everyone have been (patiently) waiting for a software update for the PlayBook OS. Well RIM let us know very early this morning that an update is available. The latest version (184.108.40.2064) brings an updated version of Facebook for PlayBook, which is actually pre-loaded, as well support for In-App payments, additional language support, charging enhancements, better video chat connectivity, and Wi-Fi hotspot detection. Here’s a quick run through of the new features:
- Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook — The first Facebook app optimized for tablets now comes preloaded and introduces new features including video uploading, message deletion, Facebook search enhancements and more
- In-App Payments Support — Enables developers to create apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook using the BlackBerry Payment Service, which will allow users to purchase enhancements within apps such as another level in a game or a new edition of a magazine
- Additional Language Support — Updates language support to include: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch and UK English
- BlackBerry PlayBook Charging Enhancements — By simply touching the battery indicator on the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, users can easily adjust the screen brightness or choose to restart, turn off, or put the tablet into standby mode. Other charging improvements include the ability to charge the PlayBook while it is turned off, as well as an on-screen alert to notify users if they accidentally have plugged in an incorrect charger into their BlackBerry PlayBook
- Video Chat Connectivity — Adds support for the TURN (Traversal Using Relay NAT) protocol, which enhances Video Chat connections between users on home, public and enterprise Wi-Fi networks
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Detection — Automatic Wi-Fi hotspot detection in the BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 makes it easier to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (at a coffee shop or an airport, for example)
You can grab this latest BlackBerry PlayBook OS update by going into your settings, software updates, and press check for software updates. After you’ve installed it, let us know what you think of the update by dropping a comment below.