The BlackBerry News app is the what became of RIM’s purchase of Viigo on BlackBerry smartphones. Now today RIM has launched the BlackBerry News App for the BlackBerry PlayBook. This app allows you to quickly subscribe to RSS feeds, by quickly search from them using the library, keywords, or URL. Sadly RIM still hasn’t added Google Reader support to their apps, which would make the News App so much better. But if you decide to download the News App for PlayBook don’t forget to search for “BlackBerry Sync” and add us to your feeds.
Below is the press release from RIM:
BlackBerry News allows a user to consolidate and access all of their subscription-based (RSS) content feeds within one app on the BlackBerry PlayBook. New feeds can be easily added by browsing the content library, or searching for specific keywords or URLs.
The app also comes with pre-populated feeds from top news sites providing instant access to popular content from multiple providers on a variety of topics. Categories include: Arts & Entertainment, Business, Health & Lifestyle, News Headlines, Science & the Environment, Technology, and Travel.
The BlackBerry News app for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet has been optimized for the tablet screen, and leverages the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet’s gesture-based navigation including:
- Touching the “News Library” button feeds to easily find and add new feeds
- Using the BlackBerry PlayBook bezel drop-down gesture from the “My News” home screen pulls up the options menu to update content, or edit and delete any subscriptions
- Selecting a subscription provides an abbreviated summary view of articles within that news feed, allowing for quick scanning of content
- Swiping left on the tablet screen turns the page
The BlackBerry News Feed application for BlackBerry smartphones was introduced by RIM last year, and customers that use the BlackBerry news feed apps on both their BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry smartphone will have their subscriptions automatically brought over and synced up between their devices based on their BlackBerry ID.
This application is currently available in the US and Canada, and will be available in other countries later this year.
- Download the BlackBerry News app for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet for free at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/44610
- For more information please read the Inside BlackBerry Blog post http://blogs.blackberry.com/2011/06/blackberry-news-for-playbook/