Viira, the amazing GTD app by Karta Mobile has just graduated to version 3.0! If you are not familiar with Viira, it is a to-do list app on crack! Drawing from David Allen’s Getting Things Done (GTD) principles, this app makes it easier to keep track of more than just things to do, but also projects and appointments. This new installment of Karta Mobile’s already “super app” adds much needed usability improvements and UI enhancements. But lets not jump the gun. Lets re-cap what this app can do. Viira helps you get things done by allowing you to:
- Create Tasks from incoming (or outgoing) emails or SMS messages
- Assign Projects and Contexts to your tasks
- At-a-glance view of tasks for the day
- Ability to Delegate tasks or Projects via email
- Seamless calendar support (appointments show up in Day View in Viira)
And much more! You can find the full feature set here. So what is new in this installment of Viira? Here is what’s new in Viira 3.0:
- In-Basket. All unassigned tasks, no matter where created, will land in your In-Basket as your task “bucket” to sort through and Do, Delegate, or Defer
- Search. This version of Viira allows you to search your ever-growing list of things to do. Just press “s” and start your search. Its that simple!
- Reminders. User’s asked, and Viira listened, adding a much requested option to have a task “grab your attention” by setting not only a due date, but also a “due time”
- BlackBerry Tasks integration: If you prefer the simplicity of the native BlackBerry Tasks app to add your to-do’s you no longer have to import tasks entered here every time. They just magically appear in Viira’s In-Basket!
- Hide Completed. You can now also see what progress you have made in completing a project by hiding completed tasks, freeing up valuable screen and mental clutter.
Not sold yet? Lets take a closer look at these new improvements in a real world scenario!
Say you wake up in the morning and need a reminder of things you need to do for the day. Open up Viira and switch to “Day View” quickly get an overview of tasks and appointments for the day.
As you are getting ready for the day drinking your coffee and checking up on the weather, you receive an email you need to follow up during the day. From the Messages view in your BB, simply hilight the message and hit the menu key to “Create a Viira Task.” Viira automatically copies the header information and the first 300 characters of the email so you can see who sent you the email and what the contents is to jumpstart your memory when you look at it later.
You are leaving the house, and realize you finished all the milk and need to get some more before you get home. If you have “Dial From Home Screen” turned off on your BlackBerry, you can hit the “T” shortcut to quickly open the native Tasks Application and enter your task there. Viira will add your task to the In Basket for review later.
You can carry on during the day adding and checking off tasks as you go along and sort through your In Basket at the end of the day, checking off your completed tasks and assigning tasks to do the following day. It doesn’t get easier than that.
But just in case, you can’t find your way around Viira, after you install it, you will see Viira has included a series of projects and tasks to help you get started with their GTD task manager app.
Viira is available for $29.99, or $19.99 if you are upgrading from Viira 2.0. From KartaMobile.com, Viira’s home on the web:
Viira 3.0 offers a free trial and is compatible with all modern BlackBerry devices all the way back to OS 4.6, including the BlackBerry Torch, Storm, Storm2, Style, Bold and Curve. If you have tried Viira 2 in the past Viira 3 will also import all your Viira 2 data.
PROS: No need to have data coverage as all your tasks live inside the app locally. Adding tasks is very intuitive and easy to do. Switching views is as easy as switching tabs. Very tight integration with almost every aspect of your BlackBerry, including Calendar, Mail Messages, SMS Messages and Tasks making it a true “Super App.”Additional software allows you to use Viira in windows with their Outlook Plugin.
CONS: Day Tasks created in Viira do not show up in native Calendar, unlike the native Tasks app. Only way to back up your data is to create a back up of your BlackBerry using Desktop Manager (for Windows or Mac). Viira Plugin for Outlook is currently not available for Mac but even if it were, the price is a bit steep at $69.99
Overall, this is a great app to get your life and daily to-do’s in order, and considering that task managers range from $0.99 to $59.99 in App World based on features, the $29.00 price tag for this versatile app with the range of features it offers is just about right. If you use or have used other task managers for BlackBerry and have been left unsatisfied, definitely give Viira a try.
Also, if you are interested in learning more about David Allen’s Getting Things Done approach to productivity, you can pick up a copy of his National Bestseller book Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity.
Are you using a “to-do” app for BlackBerry? What is the feature you use the most? Sound off in the comments below.