I love SearchIt by ShaoSoft and it’s one of the neatest tools to have for searching on the fly. SearchIt just updated to version 1.8, but there’s also a new SearchIt available for OS6. I’ll go through the updated version and review the latest version for OS6 so you can see for yourself the differences and advantages of SearchIt.
The email for SearchIt stated that it was fixes included. I’ve reviewed SearchIt before and the features of it are:
- Now with BOLT and Opera Mini 5 support!
- -Skins, 31 colours to choose from, with 7 different gradient patterns that can be applied to each one, giving over 200 unique possibilies
- -Custom background image. Set any jpg/png/tif/gif as the background instead of a colour/gradient.
- Suggestions pop up live as you type.
- Recent searches are saved and can be accessed by one click.
- Customizations include adding SearchIt to the system menu, hiding sites you do not want and adding a custom site.
- Can be assigned to a convenience key and works with launcher apps such as Quicklaunch.
- Highlight text in another app and select SearchIt from the menu and the highlighted text will automatically be put in to the search bar.
Search includes the following:
- Google News
- Google Maps
- Pocket Doctor
- Google Images
- CrackBerry Forums
- BlackBerry Forums
- BlackBerry Sync
- Custom 2
- Show Categories
- Add to system menu
- Use Suggestions
- Default Search
- Browser to use
- Menu Button
- Shortcut Key
- Skins (Pick the color of skin you want)
- Manage Sites (You choose what sites you want included or excluded)
Search it is compatible with BlackBerry OS 4.2 to 6.0, and is available in the BlackBerry Sync Store for $2.99. Search easier and conveniently with SearchIt.
For those of us who have OS 6.0, the latest version is here! I’m going to show you what this app is how easy it is to use. And since 6 is all about customization and intuitive use, let’s start from the beginning.
SearchIt for OS6 v1.0.1 is available in the BlackBerry Sync Store for $2.99 but it is on sale in the BlackBerry Sync Store for a limited time for only $1.99. Let’s take a look. The icon looks the same as for SearchIt. When you click on the icon, the options come up immediately. First is Settings which shows
Use: Full or Mobile
Name and URL of each site you want to add, for a total of 3.
Go to Options/Device/Search: and here you can select what categories will appear in your search:
- Home Screen
- PIN/Other Messages
- Email Setup Application
- Text Messages
- Browser History
- Ring Tones
- Voice Notes
- BlackBerry Messenger
- AP News
- All Recipes
- BlackBerry App World
- Custom 1, 2, 3
- Google Images
- Google Maps
- Google News
- Advanced Search For Messages
I found it to be really nice that instead of it’s own separate entity, it has become integrated with the actual options and become part of the phone, more fluid with OS6. And of course being able to customize I added BlackBerry Sync to the list. To add a url to the list isn’t hard. To add a custom URL, follow the following instructions.
- Go from your BlackBerry Browser to the site you want to include.
- In the search bar on the site type a simple word such as find or test.
- Copy the page address. The address before the word is the URL link you need. Paste in the SearchIt Custom space and make sure it’s the address prior to the word. Now you’re set to use that to search.
- If you had a favorite in the previous version of SearchIt, adding it to the newer version isn’t hard at all. First, bring up the original SearchIt, select the site to search from, type the word test or seek, then click and hit enter, let the site load. Click the BlackBerry Options button, choose Copy Page Address. Go the new SearchIt for OS6, go to custom URL, add the name you want then paste in the space below for the URL. Delete the words beginning with the test or seek word you added. That’s the url that will work.
- For BlackBerry Sync you can add the following link: http://blackberrysync.com/?s=
On OS 6 go to the Search Bar, type in the word and all your options come up. Click the word then move down to find through all your search options. It’s that easy and simple. And for anyone who loves shortcuts and convenience, this is a must have since it perfectly compliments the OS 6. If you love OS 6 and would really like your search options enhanced, then SearchIt is for you. If you don’t have OS 6, no worries. You can still grab a copy of SearchIt from the BlackBerry Sync Store too.
Cons: There aren’t really any cons to the newer version, except for one small exclusion which was that BBSync wasn’t included in the line up, but it wasn’t too big of a con since we could add it manually.
Pros: SearchIt is small, integrates into the OS and gives you a more richer search experience by complimenting the OS. It doesn’t use much room or battery. Anyone can use it. If you have trouble using the custom URL, it’s not a huge necessity as you are able to take full advantage of the sites listed. All sites are checked by default and you can uncheck the ones you don’t want. Quick, simple, and easy.