Well good Monday morning everyone! It seems that the popular next generation of Bolt Browser has just been released from beta status, and put into the wild. Starting today you can now download Bolt Browser 2.1, which brings tighter integration with Facebook, support for HTML5 video and several new Flash video streaming websites. Bolt Browser’s streaming video support now includes: mtv.com, nick.com, bbc.co.uk (UK), maniatv.com, svtplay.se (Sweden), hungama.com (India) and bollywoodhungama.com (India). With the new upgraded version of Bolt Browser also comes tighter integration with Facebook, allowing Facebook chat to be used. Check out the press release (by pressing read more) for complete details on the new version.
The new Bolt Browser can be downloaded for your BlackBerry simply by pointing your device’s browser to boltbrowser.com.
With tabbed browsing, video support and social network integration, the second generation of the acclaimed BOLT browser enables handset manufacturers and mobile operators to deliver the best Internet user experience to all categories of mobile devices
MARLBOROUGH, Massachusetts – May 24, 2010 – Bitstream Inc. (NASDAQ: BITS) today announced commercial availability of the second generation of its acclaimed BOLT™ mobile browser. BOLT 2.1 marks the completion of beta testing on the most fully featured browser available for mobile phones of all types. Among BOLT 2.1’s new features are tighter integration with Facebook, support for HTML5 video and several new Flash video streaming websites.
BOLT 2.1’s advanced integration with Facebook– by far the most popular domain visited by BOLT users around the world – includes the ability to use Facebook’s instant messaging service and to seamlessly copy text or links and post them to a Facebook account directly from within the BOLT browser. The most important new feature of BOLT 2.1 is tabbed browsing – giving people the ability to simultaneously browse multiple websites and easily switch between them – this functionality was a top request from BOLT users. With BOLT 2.1, Bitstream has expanded streaming video support to include mtv.com, nick.com, bbc.co.uk (UK), maniatv.com, svtplay.se (Sweden), hungama.com (India) and bollywoodhungama.com (India). Additional notable upgrades in BOLT 2.1 include a faster widget gallery with updated user interface and a server upgrade to WebKit 4.03, keeping BOLT up-to-date with the latest web standards.
The free consumer version of BOLT, available on mobile Java (J2ME) devices, has been downloaded nearly 7 million times since its debut in February 2009. Over the the past few months, more than thirty-thousand users installed the consumer version of BOLT each day, while additional people began using pre-installed versions of BOLT on newly-available devices from Bitstream’s OEM partners in Asia and Eastern Europe.
The BOLT mobile browser is engineered to run on mobile phones of all types, from low-end feature phones to high-end smartphones. BOLT has been installed on 1,000s of different handset models running on hundreds of networks worldwide. BOLT is the only major WebKit-based cloud computing browser and is built to deliver a PC-like browsing experience on mobile phones. Its small package, easy integration and comprehensive feature set make it ideal for handset manufacturers and mobile network operators to offer the best possible Internet experience for users of the widest range of mobile device categories. Co-branding and white labeling opportunities make BOLT especially attractive to OEMs and mobile network operators who will benefit from BOLT’s many advantages, including:
· Can offer more appealing product lines to operators with mobile devices that provide full-featured browsing, multimedia, widgets and advanced social networking support on all levels of mobile devices.
· BOLT’s WebKit based cloud-computing architecture enables efficient use of on-device resources.
· BOLT is presently available in J2ME and Brew versions, with English, Spanish, Romanian and Russian user interfaces. OEMs can request BOLT in other platforms as well.
· A 153k lite version of BOLT is available for extremely resource-constrained devices.
Mobile Network Operators
· The BOLT mobile browser delivers PC-style browsing, multimedia streaming, widget downloads, and social networking that increase ARPU while lowering operator cost.
· BOLT reduces infrastructure costs through best-of-breed over the air data compression that is as much as 24:1, a factor that is more than twice-as-effective as competing mobile browsers. BOLT’s superior data compression offers the additional benefit of speedy performance on 2G networks and entry-level devices.
· Customizable widgets and featured favorites offer new revenue-generating opportunities.
· BOLT’s WebKit based cloud-computing architecture allows for easy scaling to hundreds of millions of users, and beyond.
· Flexible, cost-effective deployment options with Bitstream managing all server/cloud maintenance
BOLT is the most fully featured mobile browser, including many features not available in competing mobile browsers. Among these features are:
· Perfect rendering of Web pages on any class of phone, scoring 100 percent on the Web Standard’s project Acid3 test.
· WebKit based cloud-computing architecture, ensuring rendering accuracy, speed and support for the latest web standards and innovations.
· Streaming video from many of the world’s most popular video sharing websites, including YouTube, MySpace, Blip.TV and MetaCafe, as well as websites that stream videos such as CNN, ESPN and any website with embedded YouTube videos.
· Super fast download speeds.
· Copy and pasting text.
· Built-in integration with Twitter and Facebook.
· Password manager.
· Download/Upload manager.
· The inclusion of widgets – standalone mobile applications that are run directly from the browser – such as a weather app, calendar app, calculator, Twitter client and others. These widgets let people using any phone take part in the mobile apps revolution.
· Best of breed over-the-air data compression, resulting in faster load times and decreased data usage.
· Ability to update the BOLT client remotely, over-the-air.
· Patented split screen viewing to make surfing complicated Web pages simple, and viewing content on the smallest of screens easy.
Bitstream has made BOLT extremely easy to use, with keypad shortcuts to quickly navigate pages and scale up and down through the browser’s six levels of magnification. Comprehensive instructions on how to use all of BOLT’s many features can be found at http://boltbrowser.com/faq.html.
Recognizing that some mobile phones currently in use cannot support the full size applications and some network providers limit the size of application downloads, Bitstream also offers a light version of the BOLT mobile browser, BOLT LiteTM. BOLT Lite contains all the essential features of the BOLT mobile browser, retaining BOLT’s feature-rich functionality, best-of-breed download speeds and desktop PC-style page layout in a smaller package optimized for entry-level devices.
BOLT 2.1 and BOLT Lite for free at http://boltbrowser.com. Consumers who have downloaded previous versions of BOLT will be prompted through the application to upgrade the browser.
The acclaimed BOLT mobile browser has the most faithful rendering of Web pages of any browser in its class. This fast mobile browser quickly and accurately displays Web pages on mobile phones just as they would appear on desktop computers. BOLT is the only browser for mobile phones of all types to support streaming video from popular media sharing sites such as YouTube and MySpace. Based on the same WebKit rendering engine used by the iPhone’s Safari and Android’s Chrome browsers, BOLT is compatible with the majority of the world’s 4 billion mobile phones. BOLT features a patented split-screen viewing mode, intuitive keystroke shortcuts and copy/paste functionality, and offers a user-friendly, feature-rich mobile browsing experience for even entry-level mobile phones. Download BOLT for free at http://boltbrowser.com – the mobile Internet has never looked this good on your phone.
Bitstream Inc. develops software technologies and applications for the graphic art and mobile communications industries. Bitstream’s award-winning fonts and font technologies enable device manufacturers and application developers to render the highest quality text in any language, on any device, at any resolution. The company’s MyFonts brand is the world’s leading provider of fonts to consumers. Bitstream’s Pageflex brand enables marketers to easily produce customized communications in print, email, and online. The company’s latest offering is the BOLT mobile browser, which has been installed by millions of users worldwide since its release in February 2009. For more information visit www.bitstream.com.