Our buddy Ronen from BerryReview just let me know that one of his secret agents dug up some great dirt. Dirt you ask? Well it’s about RIM’s upcoming BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) update, version 2.8. The new version will bring several features including much needed Google Mail Contact sync, meaning anyone in your Gmail address book will sync with your device, plus Hotmail/Windows Live users will NOT have to re-validate their Hotmail passwords every 90 days (finally). BIS 2.8 is scheduled to rollout sometime next month, but we all know how RIM loves delays. Stay tuned for more details…
Whatâ€™s new in 2.8:
- Two-way wireless synchronization with Google Mail Contacts* and the Address Book on the BlackBerry smart phone:
- Synchronize Google Mail contacts quickly and easily to the BlackBerry smart phone
- Add or edit Contacts and the Contacts are automatically updated, whether they are updated on the computer or BlackBerry smart phone
- The documentation says this is scheduled to sync every 4 hours and will not work on BlackBerry Connect devices. It also will obviously not work on BES contacts or even Google Mail Contact Groups whatever those are.
- Enhancements to email setup and settings:
- Automatic Login now supports most billing identifiers, which allows new subscribers with wireless service providers that use PIN, IMEI, or ESN as a billing identifier to create BlackBerry Internet Service accounts from the BlackBerry smart phone, without having to create a login user name and password
- Note: This feature will be available approximately one week after the BlackBerry Internet Service upgrade.
- Windows Live Hotmail revalidation:
- With BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8, new Windows Live Hotmail mail integrations will be defaulted to a protocol that is designed so as not to require 90 day reauthorization.
- Note: Existing BlackBerry smart phone users accessing Windows Live Hotmail using Microsoft MSP will still be required to revalidate their Windows Live Hotmail account every 90 days.
*Note: Two-way wireless Contact synchronization with Google Mail Contacts requires BlackBerryÂ® Device Software 5.0 and configuration through email settings on the BlackBerry smart phone.Â Additional requirements and constraints may be found within the BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8 Documentation Kit. This feature is not supported on BlackBerry smart phones with BlackBerryÂ® Connectâ„¢ software.