I just added a new email account to my BlackBerry this morning, only to find that RIM has released their Enhanced Google Mail Plugin for BlackBerry. This plugin allows you to flag messages as spam, perform local and remote searches, archive emails, and view related emails as a threaded view. Download this Plugin OTA (Over the Air) on your BlackBerry at blackberry.com/gmail.
The Enhanced Google Mailâ„¢ plug-in for BlackBerryÂ® smartphones introduces an advanced level of email service integration for BlackBerry smartphones. It supports additional Google Mailâ„¢ features that provide BlackBerryÂ® Internet Service subscribers with broader access to their Google Mail accounts while on the go.Â The Enhanced Google Mail plug-in is optional. Existing and new Google Mail integrations will continue to function without it.
Note: The Enhanced Google Mail plug-in requires BlackBerryÂ® Device Software 4.5 or later and Google Mail integration within the BlackBerry Internet Service. The Google Mail integration must use IMAP, not POP, to function correctly. Google Mail accounts integrated after March 2009 use IMAP. Deleting an existing account and re-integrating it will ensure that the account is using IMAP.
BlackBerry smartphone users with existing integrated Google Mail accounts must re-associate their email accounts to receive the link to download the Enhanced Google Mail plug-in.
Add and remove labels and stars on email messages
- Report spam email messages
- Perform local and remote searches
- Archive email messages
- View related email messages as a single conversation (threaded view)
Note: Synchronization happens in one direction, from the BlackBerry smartphone to the Google Mail account. This means that some changes that take place in the webmail UI are not reflected on the BlackBerry smartphone. These include:
- Applying labels and stars to email messages in Google Mail after they are retrieved by the BlackBerry Internet Service.
- Labels that are renamed in Google Mail are not applied to the corresponding labels on the BlackBerry smartphone. The new label is synchronized to the BlackBerry smartphone, but does not replace the existing label.
- Email messages that are marked as read, archived, or spam in Google Mail are not marked as spam on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Labels cannot be created, renamed, or deleted using the BlackBerry smartphone.
Download the Google Mail Enhanced Plugin on your BlackBerry by pointing your browser to blackberry.com/gmail.
[via BB Support Forums]