Rogers Wireless and RIM have officially released the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 in Canada. This GPS-enabled Pearl is similar to the CDMA Pearl 8130. It features Quadband GSM, 2.0 megapixel camera with flash, video capture, external microSD memory card slot, 3.5mm stereo headphones jack, stereo Bluetooth and GPS. Starting today Rogers has the Pearl 8110 available for $249 with three year contract. Included in box is the usual stuff (travel charger, stereo headset, sleeve) plus a 1GB memory card. Find the details at Rogers.com.
Rogers Wireless and RIM Launch the New GPS-enabled BlackBerry Pearl 8110 Smartphone
Small and stylish smartphone lets users shoot video, download music directly from Rogers MusicStore and stay on track with built-in GPS
TORONTO, ONTARIO and WATERLOO, ONTARIO–(Marketwire – Jan. 31, 2008) – Rogers Wireless (TSX:RCI)(NYSE:RCI) and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) today introduced the new BlackBerry(R) Pearl(TM) 8110 smartphone. In addition to providing customers with the industry’s leading mobile messaging solution, the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 is packed with multimedia features and now includes built-in Global Positioning System (GPS) with mapping software, making it an ideal smartphone for both consumers and business users, on Canada’s most reliable wireless network.
The BlackBerry Pearl 8110 smartphone is small, stylish and incredibly versatile. It features RIM’s popular SureType(R) keyboard system, which has been enhanced to include word completion and a spell checker. Alongside built-in GPS, exceptional mobile messaging and impressive multimedia capabilities, the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 also includes an enhanced visual interface.
“As the leading wireless carrier in Canada, Rogers is thrilled to offer the BlackBerry Pearl 8110,” said John Boynton, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Rogers Wireless. “When we first launched the original BlackBerry Pearl in October 2006, it instantly became one of our most popular devices. We have a history of bringing best-in-class handsets as a Canadian first and the new BlackBerry Pearl 8110 is the perfect example with its enhanced functionality, sleek interface and brand new colour.”
“Built-in GPS adds another powerful and practical dimension to the user experience,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion. “The new BlackBerry Pearl 8110, with its stylish design and impressive communications, multimedia and navigation capabilities, is an exceptional smartphone for both business and personal use.”
Available from Rogers Wireless in an attractive blue finish, the new BlackBerry Pearl 8110 smartphone features:
- An ultra-sleek design measuring 107mm x 50mm x 14mm and weighing 91 grams
- Built-in GPS with BlackBerry(R) Maps and support for TeleNav(R) GPS Navigator, which provides audible turn-by-turn directions
- A 2 megapixel camera with 5x digital zoom and built-in flash
- Video capture capability, allowing users to record video at up to 15 fps (frames per second)
- Premium phone features including enhanced noise cancellation to offset background noise, a low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth(R) (2.0) support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals
- SureType(TM) keyboard technology, now including word completion and spell checker
- An advanced media player, perfect for listening to music and watching videos; also allows playlists to be created directly on the handset
- A 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, support for the Bluetooth stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP), and dedicated volume controls
- An externally accessible microSD/SDHC expandable memory slot for additional storage (8GB microSD/SDHC cards are now available on the market)
- Support for downloading music directly to the smartphone through Rogers MusicStore
- Instant Messaging with BlackBerry(R) Messenger, Google(R) Talk and Yahoo!(R) Messenger pre-loaded
- Easy access to the Facebook(R) for BlackBerry(R) Smartphones application, enabling fast, streamlined and optimized mobile access to the popular Facebook social utility
- Ability to download applications such as Spinvox (convert voice messages to text) and Yahoo! Go (access sports, weather, entertainment news and upload and view pictures on Flickr)
- Easy access to Texas Hold’em, the first subscription-based community game for BlackBerry users
- An enhanced visual interface; emails, calendar entries, and web pages are even more visually appealing
- BlackBerry(R) Desktop Manager software, which includes Roxio(R) Media Manager for BlackBerry(R), a powerful media manager application that allows users to easily search for media files on their computer, view and organize them, create MP3 music files from CDs, add audio tags and album art, create playlists and copy or convert pictures, music and videos for optimal playback
- Support for High Speed USB, allowing users to transfer music, videos, pictures and other files from their computer onto the handset at speeds of up to 10 MB/sec.
- BlackBerry(R) Internet Service support that allows access to up to 10 supported personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
- BlackBerry(R) Enterprise Server support for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM(R) Lotus(R) Domino(R), Microsoft(R) Exchange and Novell(R) GroupWise(R) environments.
The BlackBerry Pearl 8110 from Rogers Wireless also comes with a variety of in-box accessories including stereo headset, travel charger and a 1GB microSD memory card for storing pictures, music and videos.
Pricing & Availability
The BlackBerry Pearl 8110 retails for $249.99 with activation on any combination of 3 year voice plan and 3 year BlackBerry data plan from Rogers. Some conditions apply.